“Bless the Lord for the volunteers!” was the cry of Deborah and Barak following the victory God gave Israel over Jabin, the king of Canaan. That the leaders took the lead in Israel, that the people offered themselves willingly (volunteered),bless the Lord! (Judges 5:2)
A very small percentage of Christians give generously or tithe faithfully. Few realize the importance of giving of their other resources. Gifts of prayer, time, and talent are also needed to help the advancement of God’s kingdom. Those who volunteer in ministry enable the church as a whole to function and sustain, they are a reflection of God, the most radically generous person in the universe.
GIVING THROUGH PRAYER
Prayer is the greater work in the Kingdom of God. We are not large, nor strong, nor wise. We exist by the gracious hand of our Creator. We depend upon your praying more than any other benefit you may give. Our greatest desire is that you continue to lift us up to the Father in the Name of the Son and in the power of the Holy Spirit.
GIVING THROUGH YOUR TIME AND TALENT
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God; For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another; Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. -Romans 12:1, 4-5, 6-8
There are many ways to give of your time that are a huge benefit to the Church:
- Activities that the church holds for the community or for members can almost always use the help of people willing to give of their time; just because no one asks does not mean they cannot use the help, if you have some time to spare and think you can be a valuable asset to the team please inquire further to see if the help is needed.
- If there are no major events happening at the church there is always need of people who are willing to help with administrative, media, technical and other tasks, even just an hour or two of your time can be a tremendous help to the church staff. You will never know if there is room for help if you do not ask, so please reach out to the church staff and see what ways you can donate of your time that will be helpful.
- Maybe you have an idea for a ministry or a group that you think would benefit the Church and help advance God’s Kingdom, please do not be afraid to share this with your leaders or pastors, as this can be a great way to create community of people that can give of their time that previously was not there.
- You can also give of your time to other members of the congregation or in the community. Perhaps you know someone who needs some help around the house, maybe a much needed date night with their spouse, reach out to them and see if you could help them organize or clean for a few hours, or maybe offer to babysit so they can go out to dinner or a movie. Things like this help strengthen the relationships between the members of the congregation and the relationships between families. Families are what make up the body of Christ and should be a priority to enable a strong foundation and testament to other believers and un-believers of the wonderful things the Holy Spirit can do through others that benefit us all. “Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” -Romans 12:13
There is always room for growth and expansion in the kingdom of God but we need your help to do it. Everyone likes the idea of volunteering, but getting out and actually doing it can be a hurdle, seek to remove that obstacle for yourself and others by building community through service to your church and to others and see how fast it catches on.
GIVING THROUGH UNDESIGNATED FINANCIAL SUPPORT
All undesignated giving is contributed to our general fund and is used to the glory of God for the advancement of His Kingdom. The General Fund is the backbone of Covenant Life Ministries and is one of our top prayer priorities. Apart from these needs being met, Covenant Life Ministries cannot function. All donations given to the General Fund go to the following:
- Church Building Utilities: We seek to maintain a clean environment and an adequate facility to meet the needs for our members and guests. This entails: taxes, electric, gas, water, repair expenses, cleaning supplies, and property maintenance.
- Administrative Expenses: These costs are vital for the operation and functionality of the ministry. This includes: insurance, phone, Internet, office and classroom supplies, printing and postage fees, technical equipment, media programs, and travel. It is our desire to glorify God in keeping all administrative costs to a minimum.
- Staff Support: We have sought to keep our staff to a minimum. Those whom this ministry supports will not be given so much as to waste the Lord’s resources, acquire luxury, or live lavishly above those who so graciously give to the Lord’s work.
GIVING THROUGH DESIGNATED GIVING TO A SPECIFIC MINISTRY
We share our church vision with others and make known the needs and specific tasks which the Lord has laid on our heart to do, but we will not raise support through prodding or manipulating our brothers and sisters in Christ with false doctrine. The needs our ministry are validated by our administrative leaders and all donations given toward any selected need will go directly to it. These needs vary greatly:
- The Big Give: This ministry uses funds for outreach to help those in need. If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? -James 2:15-16; And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. -Hebrews 13:16; If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. -1 John 3: 17-18; A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. -Proverbs11:25; Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not grudgingly, or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver. -1 Corinthians 9:6-7
- Missionary Support: How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in Him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how will they preach, except they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!” -Romans10:14-15; Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, -Matthew 28:19
- Children’s Ministry: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. -Proverbs 22:6
- Youth Ministry: Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. -1 Timothy 4:12
- Public Outreach: These funds are used to host special events such as our annual children’s funfest and Christmas party, Church anniversary, etc. As well as various conferences hosted throughout the year to engage our neighborhoods and communities in the wonderful work that God is doing.
- Church Construction: Many churches are limited in their ministry by not having an adequate meeting place. Often the cost of renting prevents them from obtaining the necessary capital to purchase their own land and begin construction. Covenant Life Ministries seeks to attain the funds necessary for the purchase of property and the building of more permanent structures sufficient for meetings.